Great River Hospice to Host Program on Spirituality and End-of-life Care
April 5, 2011 –
Spirituality and end-of-life care is the topic of a distance-learning program to be shown from 1 to 4 p.m. Thursday, April 14, at Great River Hospice House, 1306. S. Gear Ave., West Burlington. A panel of experts will discuss differences between spirituality and religion, and also address spirituality during illness; death and grief; spiritual assessment and empowerment; and life review.
The Hospice Foundation of America's 18th Annual Living with Grief® Program will be presented in 2,000 communities nationwide. This event has been instrumental in educating families and health-care professionals on issues affecting end-of-life care. It also provides an opportunity for professionals – including physicians, nurses, funeral directors, psychologists, educators, social workers and bereavement counselors – to exchange ideas and receive continuing-education credits.
Panel members are:
- Kenneth J. Doka, Professor of Gerontology, Graduate School of the College of New Rochelle
- Gary S. Fink, chaplain and dementia project coordinator, Montgomery; and adjunct faculty, Hood College Graduate School
- Carolyn Jacobs, dean and Elizabeth Marting Treuhaft Professor, Smith College
- Betty Kramer, professor, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Reinette Powers Murray, owner, The Peaceful Journey End-of-Life Process Program, and certified as a Train-the-Trainer for End-of-Life Nursing Education
- Martha Rutland, Director of Clinical Pastoral Education, VITAS Innovative Hospice Care
Hospice Foundation of America is a not-for-profit organization that supports hospice care through ongoing public and professional programs, and research on issues relating to illness, loss and grief.
Registration is required. Refreshments will be served, and tours of Great River Hospice House will be available after the program. For more information or to register, please call Great River Home Health Care and Hospice at (319) 768-3350, (319) 986-6325 or toll-free (877) 404-4766.