Classes & Coming Events
2015 Radiology Symposium
February 28, 2015
7:55 a.m. to 2:10 p.m.
Location: Great River Mercy Plaza, Blackhawk Room, 1225 S. Gear Ave., West Burlington, IA
This course will educate radiologic technologists, radiation therapists and nurses about the care and treatment of patients having diagnostic imaging procedures.
On completion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Describe techniques to communicate with patients who are having a psychiatric emergency or are under the influence of a substance during radiological examinations.
- Identify and discuss hip X-ray positions, measurement of the alpha angle and grading of hip arthritis.
- Discuss the use of radiology in detecting problems after bariatric surgery.
- Discuss radiofrequency ablation of facet joints/medial branch neurotomy using fluoroscopy.
- Identify anatomical landmarks used during a modified barium swallow, and the function of oral and pharyngeal cavities.
- Discuss care for patients with stab and missile injuries as applied to health professionals’ scopes of practice.
Radiologic technologists, radiation therapists and nurses
7:15 to 7:55 a.m. Registration in the Blackhawk Room
8 to 8:50 a.m. Radiology in Bariatric Surgery, Stephen Sundberg, M.D., Great River Bariatric Center
8:50 to 9:40 a.m. Radiological Implications in Modified Barium Swallow Examinations, Denise Hanks, M.A., CCC-SLP, Great River Rehabilitation Services
9:55 to 10:45 a.m. Direct Anterior Hip Replacement, Douglas Foster, M.D., Great River Orthopaedic Specialists
10:45 to 11:35 a.m. Radiological Implications in Penetrating Trauma, Paula Willoughby-DeJesus, M.D., Great River Emergency Department
12:25 to 1:15 p.m. Introduction to Radiofrequency Ablation of Facet Joints/Medial Branch Neurotomy, Arjun Sobti, M.D., Great River Diagnostic Imaging
1:15 to 2:05 p.m. Care of Patients with Co-Morbid Mental Health and Substance Abuse Issues, Francis Sanchez, M.D., DFAPA, CPE, Great River Mental Health, Robert Kerr-Willbee, LMCH, Great River Mental Health, and Jim Towlerton, CADC, Great River Addiction Services
Note: Please layer clothes or bring a light sweater to adjust for temperature variations in theroom.
This program is approved for six contact hours of continuing education for the entire program.
- Category A continuing education credit by the American Society of Radiologic Technologists for radiologic technologists and radiation therapists
- Nurses by Great River Medical Center, Iowa Board of Nursing, Provider No. 43
- Great River Health Systems and Henry COunty Health Center employees, $10
- Nonemployees, $45
- Students, $20
Program costs include refreshments, lunch and continuing education recording. The registration deadline is Friday, Feb. 20. Great River Health Systems employees should register on NetLearning. Nonemployees may do one of the following:
Register online – click here
- Call 319-768-4000 or toll-free 866-297-9516.
- Fax registration form to 319-768-4045.
- Mail the registration form and payment to:
Great River Health Systems
Corporate Education Department
1221 S. Gear Ave.
West Burlington, IA 52655
We will give a full refund for cancellations received in writing by Thursday, Feb. 19. We will not provide refunds for cancellations after Feb. 20.
From east or west: From Highway 34, take the Gear Avenue exit and turn south. The main hospital entrance is on Gear Avenue about a half-mile south of Agency Road. Enter the building through the Mercy Plaza entrance.
From north or south: Exit Highway 61 (Roosevelt Avenue) and go west on Highway 34. Take the Gear Avenue exit and turn south. The main hospital entrance is on Gear Avenue about a half-mile south of Agency Road. Enter the building through the Mercy Plaza entrance.